NEW STUDY! Genetic analysis of dogs with acquired myasthenia gravis

Please visit the following link and have your dog participate in this study:
http://vetneuromuscular.ucsd.edu/cases/2008/Aug08.html

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Vomiting and Reguritation

Dogs with Megaesophagus have an involuntary reaction of regurgitation. This is NOT the same as vomiting. Regurgitation takes the dog by surprise and causes the dog to aspirate matter into his/her lungs. Dogs know they are going to vomit and often find a place of their choosing to vomit.

With Sammie she has 2 types of regurgitation. The first and most common is the voluntary type. Dr. Crumley has speculated that she has some use of her esophagus. Therefore when food gets trapped in the esophagus, she forces it out by regurgitation. This is accompanied by a weird sound that I have likened to a Seal barking. On average this happens once every 24 hours.

The second type is totally involuntary and seems to accompany almost any activity regardless of how docile that activity may be. I know it because she will just be walking along and the foamy stuff just comes out of her mouth, taking both of us by surprise. This is the risky type of regurgitation. Dr. Crumley has speculated that it startles the dog and they breath in similar to when a human is startled ... think about it, makes sense.

Vomiting is due to an upset stomach and most dogs do this regularly too. It has nothing to do with MG and is probably related to the dog eating junk ... hey they're dogs!

1 comment:

  1. I had myasthenia gravis since 2015. I got medically discharged out of the Army, a job I loved well. My heart had 5 myasthenic crises, 3 being severe enough to be ventilated or require CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) helmet. I have had countless plasma exchanges as my veins are bad. I also needed Hickman lines inserted. I have been on azathioprine, mycophenolate (CellCept), methotrexate and none have worked. I'm currently done with my herbal remedy I purchase from totalcureherbsfoundation .com which has totally cured my condition with a surprise after almost four months of their usage, I was discouraged and never thought I would be myasthenia gravis (MG) free ,to me the best to get rid of this condition is totalcureherbsfoundation com treatment because all medications I used never worked include mycophenolate (CellCept).

    ReplyDelete